Omokoroa Boat Club Sailing
The Club has operated a Junior learn to sail programme
during the summer from September to April since 1999.
All ages above 5 are accepted and for Club member’s children there is no charge, the fee for non members is currently $30 per junior member.
The club owns 6 optimist dinghies, 4 sunbursts and 2 vikings so we can cater for adults as well!! We also have 2 rescue craft.
We sail on the main beach with an incoming tide and the main requirement is a life jacket that fits, a sun hat and swim gear.
Our main tutor is Alan Roberts, Ph 5791967 and co-ordinator is John Budden Ph5481180 we also have sea scout helpers and on of their Junior Leaders, Josh Clodo, as an assistant tutor.
The programme is posted on the Web site under Junior Sailing. We also encourage our young sailors to assist in boat maintenance during the winter months
The Club offers a wide range of sailing events to Yachts men and women currently during the summer months with harbour cruises and trips to Karewa and Motiti Islands (once the MV Rena issue has been resolved).
Courses are fully briefed and charts available and we emphasise the enjoyment of sailing in the harbour over and above flat out racing!!
However, there is keen competition between Trailer and Keel yachts with a range of trophies for the various classes and events.
Again the full programme and details of the rules are published on the web site under Senior Sailing. More Yachts are welcome!!
The current Sailing convenor is John Budden Ph 5481180 or e mail firstname.lastname@example.org
SUMMER SEASON SAILING PROGRAMME
OCTOBER 2016 - MARCH 2017
NOTE: Start times as advised in programme unless varied by agreement.
|Date||Briefing Time||Start Time||High Tide||Event|
|9 Oct 16 ||0900 ||1000 ||14.46 (1.6m)||3 short races|
|23 Oct 16 ||0900 ||1000 ||14.58 (1.9m)||Long Harbour|
|6 Nov 16||0900 ||1000 ||13.30 (1.7m)||Short Harbour|
|13 Nov 16||0900 ||1100 (Pane Pane)||LW Tga 12.25 (0.2m)|
HW Omo 19.43 (1.9m)
|20 Nov 16 ||0900 ||1000 ||13.41 (2m)||Short Harbour|
|27 Nov 16||0900 ||1100 (Pane Pane) ||LW Tga 12.34 (0.5m)|
HW Omo 19.46 (1.8m)
|4 Dec 16||DUCK RACE|
|11 Dec 16||1300 ||1400 ||18.19 (1.8m)||3 short races|
|22 Jan 17||1100 ||1200 ||16.543 (1.7m)||3 short races|
|5 Feb 17||1000 ||11300 ||15.39 (1.9m)||Kids on Heelers|
|19 Feb 17||1100 ||1200 ||15.13 (1.7m)||Harbour|
|26 Feb 17||1000 ||1100 ||LW Tga 13.59 (0.4m)|
HW Omo 21.12 (1.8m)
|5 Mar 17||1000 ||1100 ||14.29 (1.9m)||Kids on Keelers or short harbour|
|12 Mar 17||1000 ||1100 ||LW Tga 14.02 (0.3m)|
HW Omo 21.18 (1.9m)
|19 Mar 17||0900 ||1000 ||13.53 (1.8)||3 short races|
Daylight saving begins on 25 September 2016 and ends on 2 April 2017.
Cruising Division - Karewa/Motiti events
- All races to start and finish at PanePane wharf
- Yachts shall comply with Cat 4
- A motoring clause as per the Legends race is included ie in entry or emergency
- Further sailing instructions to be advised
- Points are awarded based on the system of the number of boats in each event, eg 10 boats - 10 points for the win, 9 for second and so on.
- Short races = 45 minutes each
- Long races = 12 hours may be!
- Double points for off shore events
- Alternate dates weather depending by agreement!
- Ladies races are basically helmed by ladies but ladies are welcome to sail in all events.
Sailing Convenor: John Budden 548 1180
- All skippers to ensure that adequate safety equipment is carried on board for crew at all times including a working marine radio. (We use Ch 74)
- Harbour and navigation rules laid down by EBOP Harbour Master must be obeyed at all times.
- Radio watch to be kept on the Club Channel 74 when sailing outside the harbour. Report to Coast Guard on Channel 62 in harbour or 83 outside when recording your departure/arrival.
- For offshore events or other overnight activities yachts must comply with basic safety requirements (Cat 3) such as navigation lights, radio (working), motor, adequate fuel, life flares, dan buoys, charts etc.
- Once started if retiring prematurely from an event, it is your responsibility to advise the fleet of your intentions (Channel 74) by radio, and listen out on 74 during the event.
- Any breaches of basic common sense and/or seamanship will be dealt with by the Commodore as a breach of club rules.
- Sign on either at Briefing or by radio on Channel 74 when radio check called.
- Short harbour: Multi races - charts available at Briefing or on request.
- Starts ON CLUB LINE unless otherwise advised (Club line is Club flag pole to starboard channel mark off jetty).
- For Karewa/Motiti events power boats are encouraged to join us as an economy / fish caught handicap!
For the results of the Senior Winter Series please click here
CADET SAIL TRAINING
OCTOBER 2016 - APRIL 2017 SAILING PROGRAMME
Welcome to the October 2016-April 2017 Sailing season. The sailing days and times are set out below. We meet at the Omokoroa Boat Club Rescue Boat Shed on the Esplanade at Omokoroa at the times stated which are about two hours before high tide each day. Due to the tides this year there will be some early starts and shorter sessions as a result.
Here is the programme for the October 2016 - April 2017 sailing:
Please ensure that each sailor must have:
dren's) sailing, which must be signed and returned to me or the tutor of the day.
- All sailors to have a life jacket that fits properly - waist coat "vest" ideal (Steves Marine supplies).
- Sun hats and sun block to be worn at all times.
- Wet suit or swimming togs, wind proof jacket, towels and/or warm clothes for after sailing to be brought each week.
- A parent or parents must attend and help the Club and enjoy the sport with their children.
- Please bring your own sailing dinghy but allow extra time to rig and we ask you to share crewing in your boat if we have large numbers attending.
- Drink bottles are recommended.
- Parents wanting to sail will need adult life jackets etc as for juniors.
- Junior membership of the Club is only $30.00 per annum. Joining the Club will ensure the Junior sailing programme continues and let the sport grow. Application form attached herewith. Children of members sail at no cost but donations are welcome!
- You can also visit the club deck and Boat Shed café after sailing.
- The Club accepts no liability for any accident or injury and I will send you out the new forms covering your child's (chil
|8 October 2016||1000 ||1400 (1.7m) ||Omokoroa Boat Shed||Introduction / revision|
|22 October 2016 ||1000 ||1401 (1.9m) ||Omokoroa Boat Shed||Sailing |
|5 November 2016 ||0900 ||12.49 (1.7m) ||Omokoroa Boat Shed||Sailing |
|12 November 2016 ||1400 ||18.45 (1.8m) ||Omokoroa Boat Shed||Sailing |
|19 November 2016||0900 ||12.47 (2.0m) ||Omokoroa Boat Shed||Sailing |
|26 November 2016 ||1400 ||18.59 (1.7m)||Omokoroa Boat Shed||Sailing |
|3 December 2016||0900 ||11.46 (1.8m) ||Omokoroa Boat Shed||Sailing |
|10 December 2016 ||1300 ||17.19 (1.8m) ||Omokoroa Boat Shed||Sailing |
|17 December 2016 ||0900 ||11.36 (2.0m)||Omokoroa Boat Shed||Sailing |
|21 January 2017 ||1200 ||15.56 (1.7m) ||Omokoroa Boat Shed||Sailing |
|4 February 2017||1030 ||14.45 (1.9m) ||Omokoroa Boat Shed||Sailing |
|18 February 2017||1030 ||14.30 (1.8m) ||Omokoroa Boat Shed||Sailing |
|4 March 2017 ||0930 ||13.37 (2.0m)||Omokoroa Boat Shed||Sailing |
|18 March 2017 ||0930 ||13.13 (1.8m)||Omokoroa Boat Shed||Sailing |
|25 March 2017 ||1500 ||18.55 (1.7m)||Omokoroa Boat Shed||Sailing |
|1 April 2017 ||0900 ||12.28 (2.0m)||Omokoroa Boat Shed||End of Season |
School Holidays 20 December 2016 - 27 January 2017
Daylight Saving begins 25 September 2016 and ends 2 April 2017
This year we will continue sail training for newcomers and also promote longer courses for the group races for the Club Optimists. Sunbursts, Vikings and any private dinghies or cutters..
If you have a runabout or dinghy bring it along as we will need support craft. Also we will need at least two adults to assist in the rescue boat each session. (Training provided for our three rescue craft.)
I can be contacted either by phone on 548 1180 or by email at email@example.com as we will communicate by email only.